Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Warning: Don't read this if you have a weak stomach

I could mold another cast out of the amount of dead skin I'm scraping off the bottom of my foot right now.

Grossed out? I don't give a shit. BECAUSE NO MORE CASTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random observations:

1. I was obviously too doped up on anaesthesia and painkillers a month and a half ago to notice, but my surgeon is HOT. Like, Movie Star Real Life Version of Derek Shepherd Hot, good hair and all. He could have his own show revolving around the tragic interpersonal relationships of orthopedic surgeons. I'd play his emotionally distant but irresistibly charming intern.

Seriously though, Laura and I both checked out his left ring finger (gold band and all, unfortunately) so I'm not alone in this.

2. Casts smell. A lot.

3. My foot looks really weird right now. The joints are still really stiff so it looks all awkward and rigid - on top of that my ankle is weirdly swollen from the lack of movement. On top of THAT is the 6 weeks worth of dead skin. I feel sexy.

4. Walking definitely hurts, mostly because of the joint stiffness - it kind of feels like I'm stepping on a milder version of pins and needles every time I take a step. On the other hand, walking isn't as hard as I thought it would be - my nurse freaked me out with stories of another kid in a cast who is still using crutches 2 weeks after he got it removed. My verdict? Pussy. I've already taken a few steps sans crutches, and it's day one! It's far from comfortable but I know that 80% of it is just fear in my head. So fuck you joints, I WILL CONQUER YOU.

5. I have to do physical therapy 3x a week for 5 weeks. This kind of blows.

6. I am determined to be able to walk at a respectable speed by the time Erin gets here next Monday. Ideally, I'd like to go back with her to Paris that Thursday as well...but that might be pushing it.

7. You know how when you were little, you'd spread a drop of Elmer's glue on your finger, wait for it to dry, and then slowly peel it off? Remember the warm sense of satisfaction you got when it all came off in one continuous piece? ...No? Just me? Well, that's how I felt today when I pulled a 2 square inch piece of skin off my leg.

7. I took a shower without a trash bag and tape. This is much more glorious than it sounds.

2 comments:

  1. haha my blog is for my french conversation class, le prof made us each start a blog and he has us post assignments on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought there would be pictures;I was actually disappointed.

    ...don't flatter yourself, of the dead skin not you showering without a trash bag.

    ReplyDelete