Pros:
- Mont St-Michel is possibly the coolest place I have ever been. I was seriously awestruck.
- Gorgeous views of the coast from the walls of Saint-Malo.
- Walking along the beach at sunset.
- Amazing seafood. Brittany oysters are delicious.
- Met an awesome Korean girl studying in Paris in my hostel. Both traveling alone, we decided to spend my last day exploring the city together. Long conversations about religion, racism, food. We spoke French the whole time, our only common language. We woke each other up in the middle of the night because we both talk in our sleep; me in English, her in Korean.
- Solitude.
Cons:
- The SHITTY SHITTY WEATHER. It rained almost the entire time and was freezing cold. And when I say rain, I mean pouring, pants drenched, shoes squeaking.
- Saint-Malo was cool, but it's very small and two nights ended up being a little long. Then again, I could easily have spent three days lying on the beach if it weren't raining the whole time...
- Solitude.
Also because I am lazy, here is an excerpt from my journal dated 6/9/09:
It's almost 8:30 and I'm waiting for the sun to set, armed with Kundera and my favorite Cal sweatshirt and my Nikon. The skies aren't quite clear - Mont Saint-Michel was beautiful today, but Saint-Malo continues to be grey and overcast. Still, in the distance, sunlight is pouring into the ocean through an oculous in the clouds. The diagonals of light are so beautiful that I think they must be the product of some sorcery. The beaches have cleared; just an hour ago the stone pathway above the sand was filled with joggers, families, skipping dogs. It must be dinnertime.
Mont Saint-Michel was stunning. I'd seen plenty of photos and postcards, but on the bus approaching the island, I gasped when I caught sight of it. The abbey spires tower over rows and rows of stone walls, like an Atlantis before its sinking. What a mystery that something like this exists in nature, and what a miracle that man constructed a city on top of it.

I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to properly explore it, having only four hours between buses. It turned out to be plenty of time - the island is small and the uphill paths are well-guided - but I still wish I had been able to stay long enough to see the city lit up at night.
Much of Mont Saint-Michel was extremely touristy. The main avenue was lined with souvenir shops, almost all of them toting signs in Japanese (not for naught - throngs of Asian tourists with cameras around their necks crowded the streets). Still, I was able to find a few peaceful moments away from the crowds, some with astonishing views.
(The beach is quite deserted now, the tide almost swallowing the cliff of rocks I was sitting on just an hour before. I keep putting away and taking out my camera because the scene before me is changing every minute to something more beautiful than the one before).
The view from the top of the abbey at MSM was so breathtaking partly because there were so many different landscapes to look at - the muddy bay with streams of sea water fingering their way through the dense, grey sand, the green pastures littered with rows of leafy trees, low white clouds hanging in a straight line just barely above, and then the ocean, wide and expansive, Normandy cliffs barely visible in the distance.
The abbey itself was formidable. I'm not generally a fan of Romanesque architecture, it all feels so heavy and oppressive, but I couldn't help being impressed by the massive stone columns in the crypts holding up wide, vaulted ceilings. The cloisters were beautiful too, turning their way around a garden planted with roses.
(The clouds are receding towards the ocean now, and patches of clear blue sky are finally visible under the clouds. This sunset will be beautiful).
Perhaps the most interesting part of the day was walking through the bay. Despite the warning signs about quicksand and death, groups of children running around it reassured me that there wouldn't be a problem. For the most part my trek was fine save for a few spots of mud splattering on my feet. Towards the end, though, I hit a patch of wet sand and there was no way around but through. So I stepped in...ankle deep. And then another step. And another. My feet and shoes were covered in mud by the time I made my way out, and I had no water to rinse them off with. Let's just say...awkward bus ride home with a lot of weird stares.
Still, there were magical moments on the bay. The sun kept playing hide and seek behind the clouds, and at one point was making its reappearance after a particularly long absence. Across the flatness of the bay and the fields beyond it, shadows of the fleeing clouds scampered swiftly away, chased by the wind. I felt like I was watching an episode of Planet Earth on high speed. The flatness of the land meant that I could trace the shadows of the clouds that were once above my head all the way to the horizon.
I think I almost prefer this semi-dreary, quasi-tumultuous, often-grey type of beach town in Brittany to the sunny Californian variety, all filled with palm trees and girls in skittle-colored bikinis. Other than the rainstorms, which I could do without, I love everything about it - the sad cries of seagulls overhead, the scent of seaweed and crustaceans in the air, the waves crashing without pause onto an empty beach, the steadfast fortresses and silent stone walls coldly standing guard against the ocean.
(The sky is almost completely blue now. By the time the sun dips below the horizon there will be nothing between us).





wah i wanted to read about your breathtaking moments in paris!
ReplyDelete