Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Santorini...

...is the most beautiful place on earth. Click for full size.




Today was an absolutely perfect day on Santorini, probably one of my favorite days on this trip so far. We started with a hike up a still-active volcano in the middle of the island (the Minoan eruption of the volcano occurred in the 1600's and completely changed the geography of the island), which offered amazing views of the main part of Santorini, the crescent. Then we took a boat to the hot springs, an area too shallow for the boat to dock in. Solution: WE DIVED INTO THE AEGEAN FROM A BOAT and swam to the hot springs. One of the most amazing things I've ever done. Then we docked on the island of Thirassia and had an amazing lunch of squid, lobster, and shrimp skewers. And finally the best part: watching the sunset over Oia, the most picturesque city in Santorini (and responsible for the above three shots). Oia (pronounced Ia) is the most beautiful place I have ever been. Ever since high school, when I first saw pictures of Santorini's white-washed houses and bright blue domes, houses set into cliffs and beaches fading into the bluest sea, I've wanted to come here. This was the #1 place on my bucket list, and it has turned out to be everything I expected and more. It seems impossible that something like this exists in real life. The beauty here is breathtaking; I never want to leave.

Special shoutout to Nicole for all your help and amazing recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment