Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Bay Area concert wishlist

9/17 - Ratatat @ The Warfield
9/22 - Local Natives @ The Fillmore
9/24 - Band of Horses @ Greek Theater
9/25 - Dirty Projectors @ The Fillmore
9/27 - Passion Pit @ Fox Theater
10/2 - Arcade Fire @ Greek Theater
10/19 - Jonsi @ Fox Theater (this one I am going to for sure with Jane)
10/26 - Sufjan Stevens @ The Paramout
11/2 - Bloody Beetroots @ The Mezzanine

WHAT THE HELL. The number of amazing shows in the next few months is staggering, and, pathetically, stressing me out because I know I can't see them all given time/budget/buddy constraints, especially since my tried and true concert companions are either saving the world in Michigan or living it up in Glasgow. Let me know if you are interested in any of these, because I sure as hell would love to go to as many as possible.

Some of my favorite concert memories in the last four years:

On the way to Bimbo's to see Voxtrot. It was sophomore year, December - Christmas decorations everywhere. We took pictures with towering Gap ads on Powell of Will Arnett and Amy Poehler wrapped in striped scarves. I miss those days when Union Square was a treat and San Francisco was still so exotic.

God I love this man so much. RAMEEEESH. Ignore the fact that he looks sweaty and disgusting. Voxtrot is from Austin +1. They make amazing music +1. Ramesh was so nice! +5000.

Spring of the same year, Rilo Kiley with Tiff and Katharine. We were little and Asian so everyone let us stand in front of them, and we got right up against the stage. Jenny Lewis is perfect and played all my favorite songs.

SIGUR ROS. Best. show. of. my. life. Jonsi's voice sounds like angels and rainbows and silver unicorns. The Greek was surprisingly packed, and my favorite moment happened when they were playing a particularly eerie song right before the encore. It was the end of the night, everyone was moved by the music (and yes, the weed), the band was silhouetted against the reddest lights, and suddenly it started to rain. Inexplicably, every single person in the audience raised their arms to the sky at the same time. If you've ever heard Sigur Ros you'll understand when I say I felt like I was part of a cult. A cult of awesome. I've been chasing that feeling in every show I've been to since.

1 comment:

  1. dude I'm jealous as hell, no one comes to this part of Michigan (and, of course, we make an awesome concert-going team). Maybe we can find something for when I come visit!

    ReplyDelete