"For some reason, awful lot of actors come from these kind of peripatetic backgrounds. You'll always find that they've had these itinerant childhoods. And the only thing I can think of, is that it just teaches you that behavior is not concrete. I think a lot of people think that behavior is character. I act this way; therefore I am this way. And one of the things that you learn moving around a lot is that behavior is mutable. And that's something that actors know inherently, that behavior means different things, but that you change it, depending on where you are, who you are, what you want to accomplish."
I love these actor screen tests from the New York Times. I don't know why I find them so fascinating, but some of them I've watched over and over again. My favorites are Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Marion Cotillard, Carey Mulligan, and Seth Rogen.
Peter Sarsgaard's is incredible - especially his description of his character in An Education.
"He kind of becomes a docent for the world for this sixteen-year-old girl. And it's not really about sex; it's about - when you first show someone a butterfly - they've never seen one - you re-experience the butterfly for the first time again."
No comments:
Post a Comment